SOLARHIDE-SRW is a durable and energy saving one step radiant barrier roofing underlayment. SOLARHIDE can significantly increase energy savings and overall energy efficiency of a structure. The unique design of SOLARHIDE allows it to reflect up to 97% of the radiant heat it encounters. When installed with the silver surface facing an air space in the roof system, SOLARHIDE acts as an energy efficient radiant barrier that significantly reduces radiant heat transfer. Roof assemblies installed with batten systems are excellent applications for the use of SOLARHIDE-SRW underlayment.
SOLARHIDE has also proven effective at reducing heat transfer under asphalt shingles. (This application would not be classified as a “radiant barrier”.) SOLARHIDE- SRW can be used with most any steep slope roofing assembly including: Metal, Wood, Slate, Clay Tile, Stone, Coated Steel, Concrete Tile, and Asphalt shingles. SOLARHIDE-SRW is a vapor barrier, and should always be installed on roof systems with adequate ventilation.
1. Make sure your roof deck is clean and dry. Remove any debris or fasteners that may be protruding from the roof deck.
2. SOLARHIDE-SRW should be installed horizontally (parallel) to the eave of the roof. Install SOLARHIDE-SRW with 4” inch horizontal or side laps, and 6” inch vertical or end laps. For low slope roofs with a pitch less than 4:12, overlap SOLARHIDE-SRW at least 24” inches horizontally over the underlying course and increase end laps to 8” inches.
3. Always use corrosion resistant plastic cap nails or plastic cap staples with at least a 1” inch diameter plastic cap to attach SOLARHIDE-SRW to the roof deck. Fasteners should penetrate the roof deck to a minimum depth of 3/4” inch. Fasten the horizontal and end laps every 6” inches at center, and 12” inches at center along the center of the roll in the field. All fasteners must be at 90 degrees to theroof deck and driven flush with SOLARHIDE-SRW.
4. If the roof system requires the use of sealants on the seams and joints, use a high quality, low solvent, plastic roofing cement, meeting ASTM D-4586 Type I requirements. Always consult the manufacturer’s application instructions.
5. SOLARHIDE-SRW should be covered with the final roofing materials within 180 days of being installed.
CAUTION – Always follow OSHA safe roofing codes & practices when installing any roofing product. Workers should always use and wear fall protection devices when working on a roof. Proper high traction footwear, toe boards, ropes and harnesses should always be a part of your safety measures. Use extra caution on SOLARHIDE-SRW if it becomes wet or dusty, as this may reduce traction. Serious injury or death can occur if you fail to use proper safety gear and footwear.
Safety First! Always use an OSHA approved fall protection system, and carefully observe safe roofing codes and practices. OSHA 1926.502
SOLARHIDE-SRW is one component of a high quality roof system. Always make sure your roof system has proper ventilation, and be sure to check and follow all applicable local building codes. SOLARHIDE-SRW meets or exceeds requirements for ASTM D-226 & D-4869
*When used with batten roof systems, SOLARHIDE should be installed shiny side up. SOLARHIDE performs